Thursday, May 28, 2009

I have an accent?

In my recent attempts to make ends meet, I've been "helping out" at one of the City's largest and most well-known Green Markets, at Union Square, on Saturdays working with an upstate dairy farm run by friends-of-friends. I stand at a booth and help them shill dairy. I've been talking with the hoards of people who swear by this particular farm, who line up thirty people deep at times, and I've been getting a recurring line of personal questions. When I say 'personal' I mean that this particular line of questions has nothing to do with the cows or farm or dairy, although those questions are far more frequent.

This particular line of questions is more like, "You have such a charming accent. English?" "Where did you get that accent?" "Where are you from, your accent is beautiful..." That last one happened the most recently, and I answered with a laugh and "Well, thank you. I'm from California," which is pretty much how I always answer these types of questions. But that time, though, the lady said, "No you're not. I'm from California." 

Okay.

I laughed again and said, "I'm fifth generation, grew up in Sacramento, went to school in SLO-town. My mom's from LA..." and she conceded that I probably wasn't lying, and we talked about Novato and Sausalito for a few minutes.

I asked Corrie if I sound like I have a British or Aussie or Kiwi thing happening, and she said all she could ever here was a laid-back California mumble. I guess it is pretty loud at a busy and crowded City market...

UPDATE.

No comments:

Post a Comment