Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Leap Day IPA

The 3rd&Lime Brewery's first beer is ready to go. It is a dark IPA, which is odd, and which was accomplished by adding molasses to the wort. Molasses is usually reserved for darker beers. When brewing, I thought to myself, how can I boost the ABV% and smooth out the IPA starter that came with the tiny brew-kit, since Corrie isn't really a fan of the the bitter pale ales.

I'm calling it a "dark IPA" because I think it deserves it. I think that a dark IPA is off the wall enough, coupled with the date it would be ready, inspired us to name it Leap Day IPA. Leap Day is weird and rare, and so if my first kitchen brewed beer, something I call "dark IPA" (I suppose it's a matter of opinion; it has molasses, which is enough for me).



It is pretty good, especially for a first-timer. It does have a solid carbonation, but not so much until you pour it. It does retain the head for a substantial period. The clarity may not be brilliant, but it is rather clear. The bouquet is one of mild hops and a touch of spice (I added some fresh ginger before I found the molasses).

It is a little sweet, and I think that has to do with the amount of sugar added to carbonate the beer in-bottle; it wasn't sweet at all going into the bottle.

I'm nowhere near as advanced a home-brewer as my friend Ryan, but I am proud I helped some yeast turn some complex sugars into alcohol in my cupboard. How exciting!

3rd&Lime's first beer, Leap Day IPA. Corrie even designed a label.

I'm thinking of trying some other things on an experimental level. I'm thinking of brewing some mead, because it wasn't until yesterday that I even knew exactly what it was or how easy it is to make. Not that I want to drink it that much, just the thought of making mead makes me chuckle. Also, I've been researching sprouting pearl barley and malting it...things may get weird around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment