Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Psst...hey, LA, it's winter...?

I just talked to Marc the other day and we discussed many things, this winter's weather included.

He was saying that in Dobbs Ferry, and the City as well, it had been a very mild winter. "Just those few inches of snow that everyone saw on the news a few weeks back." He said the blanket came down on a Sunday and was gone by Friday at the latest.

I had thought it was a more dire season, but I don't too much of the news, and especially very little national weather news. I guess my sporadic visits to Facebook represent my "news" connection to the east coast.

I talked with Linda as well, and again the conversation came to weather. It had been in the sixties for an unusually high number of days this winter, she was saying. One? Is one an unusually high number of days in the sixties? How long has it been since we left...since we arrived...? (TEN YEARS!)

Anyway, it has been silly down here in the Southland during our strange current winter heat wave: the last two days have been over 90 degrees.

IT'S FEBRUARY! I know we live in what amounts to a movie, or a fever dream, or an romantic ideal to many Americans who will never visit the Los Angeles region (that's how most New Yorkers view all of California---as an idea more than a place), but am I really sitting and sweating in shorts and a tank-top in February?

Yes. Yes I am.

Lamentations usually reserved for May or June or August are coming from our gobs during this dark winter...

2 comments:

  1. Yes... it is wacky weather... it was 83 on Saturday in Anaheim....which is a bit warm... it has been that warm here in Scottsdale this week too..... yet I keep hearing about the strong El Nino... where is it? no rain just early heat?? I don't understand....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooooo, they have to legally release water from Folsom Lake because it's so full. It wasn't 3 months ago that it was historically low. Now we can just hope for more wet weather. It's going to be almost 70 degrees in Reno NV. in a couple days where it would usually be 20-30 degrees cooler.

    ReplyDelete