Monday, February 29, 2016

Happy Leap Day 2016

I had a discussion with my wards today about Leap Days specifically and this phenomena of man made time dilation generally. I didn't go so far as to try to describe the section of Thomas Pynchon's Mason and Dixon where Mason gets trapped alone for 10 days in the English countryside when they chopped the calendar by ten days. September 1st went on to September 11th when they switched from the Julian to the Gregorian calendar, but Pynchon's Mason lived through those eleven days.

Different topic: visited San Diego last weekend (post coming), and it was surprisingly annoying. We weren't beer tasting, or bachelor partying, but the reality of the shabby, trashy beach town was revealed, and I really wanted to like it. More on this later...

1 comment:

  1. I've enjoyed Coronado... but never really enjoyed San Diego... confusing to drive around and expensive for what?? I did enjoy the zoo it is huge and you do get your work out walking around that place...
    I'm going to go with Neil DeGrasse Tyson and take his suggestion of skipping leap day collecting them and have a Leap week or a leap Month and then everyone gets the time off...

    ReplyDelete