Wednesday, September 16, 2026

Auditory Illusions

We have a big ass fan in our bedroom, and by that I mean something like this (not this brand) and not an actual Big Ass Fan:


In the summer months (and often later) we bring it out of the depths of storage to put it on the dresser and aim at the bed, even when we have our AC blasting the cold air enough to make the inside of the apartment pleasant. 

While our fan is as loud as a small airplane, I can't say the effect is mind-blowing in terms of cooling us. It's like a tepid breeze, maybe. Lotsa bluster, but tiny effect.

Anyway, if I finish brushing my teeth and shaving and other bedtime ritual activities before Corrie and get into bed with this thing on, I lay my head on my pillow and wait. Usually my left ear will be down on the pillow, and during this time my brain tries to work with the blaring sound of this fan. 

Sometimes it will sound like a sprinkler is going, often of the type Ron uses at the Farm. Sometimes it will sound like Corrie's using her electric toothbrush, even though I was there next to her as we both used our toothbrushes at the same time for the pre-programmed two minutes. (On a side note: until I got an electric toothbrush, I'm not sure I ever brushed my teeth long enough.) Sometimes my brain tells me that the faucet is still on.

Every time I experience this phenomena, I've found that once I sit up and let both ears hear, whatever my brain was telling me it was hearing instantly disappears, and the roaring drone of the big ass fan surrounds my skull. 

And even though I know that my brain is just trying to work out the auditory information and put it into terms that it, and I, can understand, the illusion is something I oddly enjoy.

Somewhere my Youtube algorithm had a video that I actually watched, and I was thinking about it in terms of my auditory illusion with our fan. Now, just, follow me here...there's a scene in Christopher Nolan's Odyssey towards the end where we see the results of the Trojan Horse scam, and Odysseus and the guys sneak out of the horse, quietly kill a few guards and work their way to, and then open, the gate, letting in the rest if the Achaens (assembled Greek armies).

The scene has a pulsating percussion beat that keeps you keyed up, getting tenser by the second, until you find yourself white-knuckling the (uncomfortable) chair in the theater. (Side note #2: why were the chairs in our DTLA IMAX theater far shittier than the ones at our local DTLB theater?)

The video I watched that glommed onto this idea of auditory illusions is about the illusion that the film's composer Ludwig Goransson devised that sounds like an infinitely increasing tempo. It sounds like it amps up infinitely while remaining able to both be heard by human ears and played by human musicians.

If that sounds like something up your alley, a discussion of how that works, with the explainer trying to do his best to replicate something similar in his studio, then just click this link, baby: The Impossible Rhythm Illusion from The Odyssey.

The one who hates out fan the most, unsurprisingly, is Picasso. Sorry, bud.

No comments:

Post a Comment