Saturday, October 16, 2010

California Trip-3: Places

Visiting California, if you're from there like me, there are certain places that you'd like to see that may not make it to tour guide books for visitors. We didn't really make it to those places, but we made it to some...time was too tight.

But we did get to the Winchester Mansion, which is a touristy place, but something Corrie hadn't done but had wanted too for more than a decade. It was just as wacky as I remember form my first trip in 1993, when my cousin Jake was out visiting. The grounds are still pretty well manicured:



And the "13" bush is still cool and bizarre:



We did go to a speakeasy-style bar in downtown San Jose, a downtown that I realized either had changed drastically from my last visit, or that I'd never gotten that close to. The downtown area was cute and quaint, like a non-threatening Berkeley with artsy stuff and coffee shops, but not too many hipsters or panhandlers. The bar was unmarked as far a name goes. Apparently it goes by the title singlebarrel, lower case and one word like that, and above a black unmarked door on a side street is a barrel. Behind the door is a dark staircase down a flight a stairs to a basement bar. The tenders talk to you for a while and figure out what flavors you like to drink in a mixed drink, then create something for you that's similar but different. It was all very cool, but I have no pictures...

We didn't get to too many of our San Luis vistas and hot-spots of nature like (one of our favorites on Earth) Montana de Oro, Pirate's Cove, Dinosaur Caves, the beaches of Avila or Pismo or Shell, but we did get to Morro Bay, and the Rock. We decided to hit that one up since a novel I'm writing has Morro Rock as a character (I call it Chumash Rock), and we had so little time...

I like how it looms in the back of the city...



...how it looks off in the distance...



...and how it looks as a backdrop for me and my Forlan jersey.

1 comment:

  1. Winchester is a place to be seen, and it helps if one can see it as a child and again as an adult sometimes different things stand out... but you are correct it is an odd house... Morro Rock looks wonderful as a backdrop to your jersey... hope you had a good weekend...
    ma

    ReplyDelete