Monday, March 19, 2012

College Basketball Season

I've been catching some of the college basketball tournament games on my TV in the mornings, at least recently, as the tournament has sputtered into some kind of Madness. Corrie and I are making picks for our own brackets, and I must say that while there have been some upsets (I was rooting for you Lehigh and Norfolk St, even as you wrecked my bracket), I correctly picked 9 of the Sweet 16 teams. That's over half, baby!

Now, a few observations:

Screen, pick and roll, post up, screen, pick and roll, rushed shot from too-far out. Is it just me, or am I describing every single possession in the tournament so far? Well, I did see some zone-defense breakdowns and fast breaks where someone actually entered the paint, or dribbled the ball for what seemed like a reasonable amount of time, sheesh...I'm not saying that it's boring, but...um...maybe if, like NBA games, we could just fast forward to the exciting part at the end.

While there are no teams from the Pacific or Mountain time zones left, the state of Ohio is 8-0, all four teams winning both games each: Ohio St., Ohio University, Cincinnati, and Xavier are all in the Sweet 16. Good for you, Ohio. Something nice to think about while the Indians try to get Fausto back under his real name, the Browns try to figure what to do with Colt McCoy, and the Cavs continue to dominate the lottery draft. Go Blue Jackets?

No, I like Ohio, I really do. Try and imagine another time when one state had four teams, exactly one quarter, of the Sweet 16 teams? Maybe California, maybe North Carolina, maybe even Kentucky... Right now Kentucky has 2, Wisconsin has 2, and North Carolina has 2.

For the record, Corrie got 8 of the Sweet 16 teams, which is pretty good, as far as we're concerned.

No comments:

Post a Comment