Tuesday, April 9, 2013

A Birthday Post with Other Ambitions

I've been making a few changes to the looks of some of my various blogs, as well as in how I've been approaching the posts. That'll slowly continue, and some of these newer posts are kinda neat. Really, it's an attempt to partition my time between posts, novel work, and my other main thing right now.

I also wanted to put on the record my usage guidelines for blogging terminology. I don't necessarily see myself as the authority, but as far as reading my material here, the following conventions have been followed without explanation until now.

Clarifications

blog: (n) trendy shortening of word "weblog" (itself a compound noun of "web-log"); a forum for one or multiple contributors to post content of some kind; genrally, a forum;
(v) the act of putting written posts onto one's weblog; posting to that forum

post: (n) one of the entries on a blog;
(v) the act of putting entries onto a blog

I think my point is to clarify that I don't put up blogs, I put up posts onto blogs. Also, as verbs, "blogging" and "posting" are nearly interchangeable, yet I almost always prefer "posting" to describe the act of making entries (posts) available to the public on the forum (blog). But, however awkward, to say, "the other day I was blogging," would be accurate.

I've heard a few things from folks I've met out talking about Robot Crickets and writing in general that inspired me to clear up for myself the direction that this artform is heading.

These semantics are important only for wordsy punks like me. You should have the long conversations about the wording on our wedding invitations...

And since it's my birthday, I've decided to post this not-so-inside joke picture under the heading

FINALLY


1 comment: