Saturday, October 10, 2015

Off the Grid and Loving It

My phone broke two Fridays ago.

I've been living in the early '90s. You want to let the spouse know you're running late because the meeting went long? Nope. You realize as you're looking at the printer cartridges that you forgot to write down the model you're looking for and wouldn't it be nice to quickly and easily ask the person sitting in the same room as it at home to send along that info? Guess again.

[Since you're already at the store, and I forgot to mention it, we still] need garlic[. Please just grab some, thanks.] NOT GONNA HAPPEN.

This is what it used to be like.

As much as I have been enjoying being off the grid, a person in my position needs to be able to get quick messages from colleagues as well as send the same. My wife is upset that she has to email me to contact me in some form during the day, and who can blame her, since I have limited email-viewing time on my laptop.

Emails are another serious issue without the device. I get between twenty and fifty emails a day from various sources. When I can see them on my phone, I can deal with them nearly immediately. "Didn't you get that email?" I've been asked occasionally the past two weeks. I smirk. Even with a working phone I may not have been paying the most attention to some of the chatter...

But today is the day that it hopefully gets fixed. Playing my Simpsons game on Corrie's old phone (which takes a charge and connects to Wi-fi) is getting annoying, especially with the Halloween event going on.

I see the need to be connected; I feel the need to be connected. No off-the-grid mountain-manning-it just yet...

No comments:

Post a Comment