Sunday, October 23, 2016

Three Sightings

1
Finally Some Weather

Normally down here in the Southland we get "nice weather." This is usually defined as sunny days and warmth. 300+ days a year of both, which spoils us.

Corrie mentioned to one of her mommy-group pals about this winter heading to the surrounding mountains to "go to the snow." This friend is from Chicago and shook her head: "Such a California thing to say."

It is "such a California thing to say" if your frame of reference is the Los Angeles region, as the majority of the state doesn't share in the mild weather patterns. Mostly.

But today the sky betrayed some "weather", and I took a picture on the walk home from seeing friends at breakfast:


See! Clouds!

It even rained! The duration was only long enough to cover the sidewalk with a damp appearance, but it may have been months since such a thing happened.

2
Working on  a Saturday

Yesterday I looked out our window while holding the Boy and caught a glimpse of someone hard at work:


You may be able to see him just right of center. 

Corrie asked if I was gathering evidence for an OSHA report. Maybe his safety harness is invisible...

3
What is this "dab" you speak of?

We had the Boy's four month appointment at his pediatrician last week and on the walk home, there was something set up on the sidewalk.

We came to it from the back, but it looked like a haz-mat suit set up to resemble some scary Halloween decoration. As we passed, though, this is what it was:


I laughed and took a picture, telling Corrie and Cass, "My kids always ask me to dab, and I always refuse. This photo will haf'ta suffice."

"What the hell is 'dab'?" Corrie asked. My mom said the same thing.

I tried to explain, sounding as white as possible in the process: "It's like a cross between a dance move and a celebratory gesture. Popularized by Cam Newton, it looks just like this cement mixer sales-mannequin."

1 comment:

  1. I am on this date 10/25/16 in Sacramento where it has been raining since about 6 pm last night... okay off and on... but still raining... and going to the mountains to play in the snow may be a California thing to say but growing up in the Los Angeles basin then moving to the San Francisco Bay area... that was really the only place we ever saw snow... the Mountains.... and that is where it belongs... not in my yard or on my streets... but I digress... I am glad you got weather this weekend....

    ReplyDelete