Monday, September 18, 2017

Blog Name Update

In the beginning of this blog I changed the background picture every few weeks. The title was something like "A California Child Back East" with the URL mainstay being "caliboyinbrooklyn."

I thought it was fitting enough, a place to report on weirdness I'd witness with the eyes of a west coast kid unfamiliar with the normal way of things in NYC.

When we moved from Brooklyn to Texas, I changed the title to something like "A California Child Deep in Texas," but only because "...Deep in the Heart of Texas" wouldn't fit. "Deep in the Heart of Texas" is a famous song and I thought that the title could be a play on that.

Again, the motivation was basically the same: west coast eyes witnessing things taken for granted by locals, except now those locals were Texans instead of New Yorkers.

In April of 2011, once we finally settled in Long Beach, I changed it again, this time to "A California Child Makes it Home." It seemed fitting, but the original motivation was now obsolete. Maybe I felt like my eyes had become world-weary.

In any case, the blog itself turned into a forum for me to post content of a non-fiction sort, with an occasional anecdotal philosophy piece thrown in.

I think by summer of 2011 I had changed the name again, the fourth time in three years. I changed it "In Los Diez Sur," or maybe even "Los Diez Sur." Of course the italics didn't show up.

The philosophical background to that was that now I was going to do the similar thing as in Brooklyn and the east coast, as well as in Texas, but here my point-of-view was as a Northern California boy in Los Diez Sur, the Spanish phrasing of "The Southern Ten," as in "the ten counties of the state of California that comprise 'SoCal'".

That lasted for a while, but I changed it a fifth time to "On the Pacific Plate." I don't think I ever mentioned the change, what it means or why I decided to emphasize something as obscure as plate tectonics. See? That's the reference. Here in the Southland, the LA basin exists west of the San Andreas Fault, and this spit of land we all live on is technically on the Pacific Plate and not the North American Plate, which I found fascinating.

Despite the length of time that I had it titled "On the Pacific Plate", I never felt like I made a big enough deal about it, or even mentioned it in the slightest. So there you go.

I started feeling like it was time for a change again, as the Pacific Plate idea was always meant to be temporary.

Coupled that with my time commitments being pretty taxing, my own sense of knowing who I am better at this time, caring for a child I helped create, I finally reached a sense of owning that URL title.

Throughout all of the name changes and spatial location changes, the URL of caliboyinbrooklyn never changed, and now I'm comfortable with owning it. Yes, I don't live in Brooklyn anymore, but that experience has colored every decision I've made in the past 10 or 11 years, and I stopped worrying about any potential confusion over the title for this forum.

Anyway, why shouldn't the title of the website and the URL be the same? Makes sense, right? Why was I so resistant? Well...plenty of reasons, but I'm over it.

I'm too tired and busy to care anymore. There it is.

1 comment:

  1. works for me... just as long as you post when time allows....

    ReplyDelete