Sunday, October 28, 2018

World Series Note

I love the fact that the entire 1939 World Series, a four game sweep of the Cincinnati Reds by my New York Yankees, took about 7 hours and 5 minutes, WHICH TOOK LESS TIME THAN FRIDAY'S 18 INNING MARATHON BETWEEN THE RED SOX AND DODGERS.

That game, Game 3, the only game the Dodgers won, was effectively two games, and took 7 hours and 20 minutes.

We started watching it at the restaurant at 5 pm when it started. We left close to 7, got the Boy through his bath and into bed like normal, and kept watching. By 11:30, both of us were done and about to be out on the couch, and tha game was still on, the 16th inning maybe.

I turned it off and went to bed not knowing how it it would finish. Had it been the Yankees, NO WAY would I have gone to bed.

Anyway, it wasn't until the next morning that I learned the outcome.

Also, my condolences to my mom and and all my Dodger loving family and friends. This Red Sox team is just so good. And as a Yankee fan, it pains me to say that.

I do like Mookie Betts, though, and love the fact he's also a professional bowler. He's even rolled three recognized and sanctioned perfect games in his life.

In other random sports news, I caught a few plays between the Trojans of USC and Arizona State this past Saturday. I caught a tackle of the USC running back deep in the backfield, which was a loss of yards on the play.

The announcer said, "That was great penetration from Darien Butler there to cause such a loss of yards," and while Corrie made her usual jokes about how the rampant homophobia in American football battles the obviously gay dialogue by the commenters, I perked up.

Darien Butler was one of mine, from my first year. I had him and Ray Scott in the same period, and Ray plays defense for USC, so they must have been playing against each other.

That was one of the better periods that year, as those two didn't let shit happen that was obnoxious.

No comments:

Post a Comment