Monday, February 11, 2019

Strike's Over, and Other News

I've been formulating a long written piece about our strike, the power of strikes, the power collective bargaining, and educational topics on a whole, but that will wait.

Our strike lasted six work days and a seventh day of holiday pay. We marched in the rain and stood in the rain. We took drives to a local drug store soaking wet just to use the bathroom.We marched in downtown LA and in our own school's neighborhoods. We shouted so loud outside of City Hall, more than 60k of us, that we rattled their windows and were heard through the walls inside the negotiating room.

And we won.

Strikes work, people! They really do!

Now Cass is sick, or at least over the worst part and on the mend-ish, with two illnesses that I thought only appeared in novels like Little Women. He has BOTH scarlet fever and hand, foot, and mouth disease.

Corrie's birthday was last Monday and I stayed home from work to take care of both her and Cass, as the ravages of fever swept through our apartment like wildfire. How I've lucked out is beyond me...maybe my job is finally helping with immunities.

I have some other stuff to put up here today, and we'll see how much I can get through, depending on naps and Incredible 2 viewings.

No comments:

Post a Comment