Sunday, September 15, 2019

September's Summer-Selfie Spectacular!

When I was younger, and having been gifted a point-and-shoot Cannon camera, I occasionally turned the camera on myself. I did this to try and capture me in the frame with whatever stuff I also wanted in frame, like Mayan ruins or the sweeping forests of the Adirondacks from a high point.

This was back when point-and-shoot cameras were more of a thing, before smart phones killed that market.

Corrie would make fun of me when she looked through my pictures. "Sure gotta lotta pictures of yourself, here," with a hint of condescending malice in her voice. My only response was that it was only because she was off with her SLR camera taking NICE photos, which is insulting because now I'm blaming her like it's her problem.

The term "selfie" hadn't even been added to the common vernacular at that point.

When it did enter the lexicon at-large, I by and large stopped taking that type of picture.

Until I had a kid. And the phones make it so easy to take them. And my kid likes it. And sometimes the pictures turn out pretty nice.

I still only take that type of picture with my boy, but as I scrolled through my pictures to show an old acquaintance some of the Italy stuff, I realized that my and my son's face showed up a lot in my pictures from over there.

So...come up with an alliterative title, and a blog-post is born.

I am going to try and dump a bunch of them here, from our places in Long Beach to our trips to Italy and Florida this summer.

At the Colosseum 

Birthday on the Spanish Steps

AirBnB, Rome

Same; condo in Rome

Otygia Island, Syracuse, Sicily

Father's Day, Syracuse

Syracuse

Same as above, Syracuse

Inside Cave, Syracuse Ruins Park
It was about here that I got self conscious about the sheer volume of selfies...do I have a problem?

Temples at Agrigento 

Same, Temples at Agrigento



Palermo

NOT HAVING FUN, Palermo


Pompeii

Pompeii again
Finally done with the Italy selfies, and the embarrassment of the selfie numbers sets in...
Shady spot, Promenade Park, Long Beach


Ali mural, Long Beach

Newsies Cap, old Apartment
And then we went to Orlando...

Before breakfast, Gertie in the background

At lunch inside the outside at the drive-in

At breakfast, showing off his new Stitch cap

DINOSAURS!

At the arcade, waiting to fly to PHX and on to OKC

Airport chilling

Back to the shady spot at the Promenade Park

Our new apartment
At this point, beyond the mortification of showing all these pictures, I realize that they are tangible artifacts of my adoration and limitless love for my son.

1 comment: