Sunday, January 26, 2020

My Coats are Old

Our trip to the snow an hour and a half away allowed me to bust out my pea-coat. I was very excited about this.

[Let me first say that I don't want to have a full-on dialogue about the differences between jackets (items you wear in November and March) and coats (thicker items you wear in January and February, as both will be featured here.]

My pea-coat was something I wore in the coldest months in New York, and layered with a scarf, fleece, gloves and hat, I felt I could handle any weather.


Another nice thing was that it went with anything else I was wearing: jeans and hoodie or suit and tie.

Purchased in late 2006 or early 2007, it's my newest coat.

At 14 years old, it's my newest cold-weather outer wear.

Taking it to the mountains was something I was looking forward to, and it got me thinking about the jackets I wear regularly and the coats I wont let go of, their ages and circumstances under which I came to possess them.

The next newest jacket is a corduroy zipper ensemble I wear half the time during these mild southern California winters:


If I'm wearing jeans, dark pants, and/or no forcasted rain, I tend to wear this. I used to wear it with a scarf when it was necessary and I had a small soft one, also a skull cap, but not so much anymore.

It was a Christmas present in 2002. My mom got me and Dan and Norm each a different earth-tone color. Back in high school and beyond Norm and I would raid the closets of elders who'd been sent off to facilities for corduroy treasures: leisure suit sport jackets were the best, and by the time I made the dorms, my jacket had nearly disintegrated.

A few years later this corduroy had replaced it, it having been lost to the ages.

The next jacket I wear the other half of the time, if it's going to rain or if I'm wearing dressier clothes:


For a long time in San Luis it was simply my rain jacket: when I had to ride my bike in the rain from Oceanaire to school, I wore this, even as it was a little too warm.

It reminded me of a jacket my friend (and dorm-time idol) Alan would wear, and I liked the way it looked back at the time I came into possession of it.

I say it like that because I didn't purchase it.

We had a Halloween party at Oceanaire in 2001, and I only remember that was the year because when we moved the couch I found the local newspaper from September 12th wedged against the wall. After the party, nobody claimed the jacket, and I asked lots of people. So, I've been wearing this jacket from winter 2001 on.

This brings me to my oldest coat, and something I haven't worn regularly since we left New York back in 2009. It may also be my warmest garment. This is my Yankee parka:


It's a classic '90s era Starter parka. It was another Christmas gift, only from 1992. I just did the math in my head: I was in 8th grade, because I had mentioned wanting one, then later mentioned how I didn't really want one, rather, I wanted a poncho. I hadn't realized it, but my folks had already gotten it, and that year I ended up getting both.

But I remember not yet being in high school, and seeing how '93-'94 was my first year, this had to be winter '92. This has been in my possession for 27 years and a month.

If it was ever cold enough, I would fully wear it.

My coats are old.

No comments:

Post a Comment