Monday, April 20, 2020

Quarantine Regression

It's silly to think any "regression" is due to the stay-at-home order, but the pen and notebook showed up on my birthday, and this seemed like as good a time as any...


Above you will find some things. One is how I tell time on my wrist; some are a collection of items concerned with how I shear the hair from my face; two are how I like to keep personal notes.

The oldest set up there is my shaving stuff. I use a safety razor with double-sided Japanese blades, a badger-hair brush, and a face soap disc. No aerosolized shaving cream for me, and no cartridge razors either. This way, once you master it (it took me a while to stop butchering my face), saves so much money and you may actually learn to like shaving.

The next oldest is my watch. It needs no batteries and doesn't use electricity. Self-winding and spring operated, as long as the delicate pieces don't get jostled too badly, it'll work forever. Er, given the inherent tenacity of the mainspring...

Lastly, the fountain pen and notebook, arriving the same day, made me think of my travels into the past. Maybe when we're all ready to leave our homes again besides grocery runs, I may be rocking the Chester A. Arthur beard and bowler hat, taking notes with my refillable fountain pen, reading the time without electricity, and, eh, shaving my neck with the one-at-a-time Japanese safety blades...

I also felt obliged to mention where these came from: all gifts.

The handy ceramic shaving dish and badger hair brush were gifts from my brother Dan, for a birthday maybe five years ago. I had bought a razor, but it kinda sucked, and Ryan let me have that black-handled Schick---it had been his grandfather's. (I supply my own blades and soap pucks. And ink, for that matter.)

The watch was from my wife two Christmases ago.

The pen and notebook combo, again, is from my brother Dan, but this birthday.

Regressing with the help of my friends, it appears.

1 comment: