Sunday, May 2, 2021

Some Ideas for Later

I just wanted to put some things down here before I forget, so I could come back to them later.

The first is that I finished the Opal and Nev book last week, and it was cool to have a book tugging at my attention all the time. I've been reading Milkman by Anna Burns on my Paperwhite for an embarrassingly long amount of time, and while I am digging it...

I can't finish that sentence. 

It's a Kindle, sure, and that poses its own issues (like I still find it weird to hold and it doesn't give you a page count, only a percent that isn't on a 1-to-1 "page" turn ratio), and the writing is nice and dense (which got critics pissy, a style they would have praised had Ms. Burns been a man), and the subject I find interesting, so...I dunno. I'd kind of like it in paper.

I found a tiny thing by Nalo Hopkinson (Report from Planet Midnight) and Assata Shakur's autobiography. I have an old copy of Bowman's Big Bang I'd love to start. After watching The Queen's Gambit, I ordered a copy of Walter Tevis's book the show was based upon.

The Queen's Gambit was a show I adored, and wanted to write up a comparison of it and (another show I adored) The Flight Attendant, the HBO show starring Kaley Cuoco, the "hot girl" from the stereotype-heavy Big Bang Theory show.

On a deep rabbit hole dive one late night I found a book from the periphery of Thomas Pynchon's sphere, purchased it, and finished it at the Farm a month ago. It speaks to some realities about our TRP, as it was the brain child of someone who at one point was Tom's best friend (when? the dorms and adjacent years). Then I found a book about an orphan brought up by magicians that has an introduction written by Pynchon, and that's on its way here also.

I really just wanted to come to this place and write up that we watched Tenet last night, which was May Day itself, and the first day it was able to stream on HBO. I really liked it. I can understand if someone doesn't like it, and I can see the reasoning behind the notion (I saw written) that it's the most polarizing Nolan film, and has the potential to be a great cult classic.

Granted, it is heavy on exposition and short on character development, but something about it that just gripped me. I'm fully on board with John David Washington's American "protagonist," and the action set pieces are so ambitious, if even a little silly. But what can I say: I like the big swings that Christopher Nolan takes. 

I wanted to put together some ideas on the Nolan films I've seen:

  • Memento
  • Inception
  • Interstellar
  • The Prestige
  • Tenet
  • Batman Trilogy
I ordered them like that for a reason, which I may hold to whenever I write it up next week (or month). 

One last thing I want to elaborate on later: for all its charms and flaws, one of the things that Falcon and Winter Soldier seemed to do, or attempt to do, was normalize "shit" as a curse word. The show is on Disney+, and the word shit is used at least three times per episode. That may be a tiny exaggeration, but at least once is for sure, and plenty of the six episodes have more than just the one time.

Good shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment