Friday, August 18, 2023

Solo Trip to the Movies

Yesterday Corrie took Cass to see The Meg 2 at the theater, one of their pre-school-starting dates that they've been doing this week. He was very excited to see it, and he and I may go see Blue Beetle this weekend. The whole family may go see it, too, but we'll wait and see.

It reminded me about my own experience with the whole Barbenheimer phenomena last month. We still have yet to see Barbie, but I would like to give it a look. But I had a late morning and afternoon off, so I went by me onesie to see Oppenheimer in IMAX. It was a 10 am start time and the one ticket still cost over twenty bucks. Yikes.

I enjoyed it, but afterwards you feel like staring off into the distance while nursing a whiskey neat. The pacing was tight for a 200 minute film (or whatever), and the practical special effects were good. If it seems like this is a little late for the whole "think pieces about Barbenheimer," that's because it is, and this isn't even a think piece.

The last time I went to the theater by myself was for the black and white silent film The Artist. It was good, sure, but...my energy for these kinds of things---waxing philosophic about (basically) useless stuff---has diminished.

Anyway, Christopher Nolan does it again. I guess. Big ideas, big movie, practical effects...

I still go back to the introduction of Joker in Dark Knight: the first six minutes of that movie is a master class in comic book villain introduction: you get an idea of Gotham's geography, both physical and social, and nothing is wasted. The MCU never did it so well, but, then again, Nolan was making a noir movie, 9/11 noir anyway, and the goal was different.

Shout out to Sacramento's own Greta Gerwig, the only solo lady director of a billion dollar film.

No comments:

Post a Comment