Thursday, July 4, 2024

4th of July 2024

We've got Daddy Daycare going strong this year with Camille---Cass is in a summer program, so it's just me and Cam. You know, fun stuff, like light reading:


 But we also paint in the mornings. Which got me thinking about, or appreciating, some of the best American painters from the past. I was helped by my phone app, reminding me about Frederic Edwin Church. 
efui
It was here that I narrowed my focus and decided to compile a lust of 5 incredible American masters of 19th century. Why then? Why not? I like Mary Cassatt and John Singer Sargent, and on this, out country's Independence Day, I was thinking about the first artistic movement from this country: the Hudson River School. Monumental landscapes? Peering portraiture? Allegory?  (I also didn't want to get into Hopper and O'Keefe today)

Anyway, here are five American painters and some of their masterpieces.

Winslow Homer, "Gulf Stream":

Frederic Edwin Church, "Rainy Season in the Tropics":

Albert Bierstadt, "Valley of the Yosemite":

Mary Cassatt, "Breakfast in Bed":

John Singer Sargent, "Repose":


Happy 4th!

No comments:

Post a Comment