Monday, April 27, 2009

A Note on Sports

My Yankees got swept in their first meeting this season with the Red Sox. Judging by the press out here, the end is nigh, what with Wang, Bruney, Nady, Ransom and A-Rod all on the DL...

I do have to say that the empty seats at the new Stadium in the Bronx pleases me. This new baseball cathedral was built with tax-free bonds and rent-free land leases, and what do the fans get for fronting $450 million (one estimate of the final cost to taxpayers)? So-so seats for $900, good seats for $1250, and great seats for $2500. Oh yeah, let's not forget the luxury boxes (19 in the last stadium, 54 in this one) that can be had for lease--for the entire home season--starting at a quarter-million dollars. They are my team, they do throw money around in a relentless desire to deliver championships, and I was gifted a pair of the $5 tickets randomly available...but jeeze, folks.

I would like to extend a congratulatory wish to  Ramses Barden , who was drafted in the 3rd round (85th overall) by the New York Giants Football Team. These wishes are extended because the kid is a Mustang...he went to Cal Poly, and he has an opportunity to make an immediate difference since he's a tall wide-receiver, kinda like that other tall wide-out who shot himself through the thigh at a nightclub, during the season, before he got cut by the Giants.

1 comment:

  1. I have made a decision... I need to start following sports again... even if Lupita doesn't want me too... I told her, "I'll just follow them, not BET on them..." but we'll see. So, it might be back to the old days of Yankees versus the A's... I'll keep you posted...


    Daniel

    ReplyDelete