Sunday, August 15, 2010

Express Game 2

This past Wednesday, Corrie was able to obtain two tickets to the Round Rock Express game, and my sous-chef and I attended. The opponent was the Sacramento River Cats, and being from Sac, I was torn as to for whom to root. Our seats were really nice, along the third base side, close to the field, and just past the base.

We made it just a little late, my boss and I, having just missed the top half of the first inning. The Express, in the bottom of the first, rocked the pitcher, actually two of Sac's pitchers, to the tune of 9 runs. In the bottom of the second they tacked on two more. After two innings it was 11-0, and the crowd felt almost restless, like now they have to sit through a laugher.

Au contraire. Sac chipped away. Five runs here, a few more there, and shockingly, by the time my boss and I had moved up to the air-conditioned club above homeplate in the top of the ninth inning, a River Cat hit a 3-run homer to tie the game. RR brought in a new pitcher, who gave up two more runs, and an improbably comeback was complete. The Express were held-off in the bottom of the ninth, and Sacramento won 13-11.

It was like no other game I've ever watched, seen highlights of, or maybe even read about. A huge meltdown early for Sac (more like two in the same inning), then the slow bleeding that never stops started for Round Rock, culminating in a meltdown of their own...like nothing I'd ever witnessed before.

Quite an experience. Thanks baby getting us the tickets, and thanks Tim for coming along. We saw a crazy game, and California's capital city's team beat Texas' capital city's team. Can't say that upsets me.

1 comment:

  1. yes, you have to love baseball...no time limits set it plays till it's finished not some arbitrary time of the day....Glad the River Cats won... however I understand your torn loyalties...

    Good luck with the move.. Coffee is scheduled to arrive later this week via amazon so be on the look out... I'll change your address to the new place once it arrives.

    ReplyDelete