Friday, May 3, 2013

A Gift From the Big Apple

An old friend of mine from high school happens to be living in Manhattan right now, on the Lower East Side, attending a graduate program at NYU, and I got in touch with her and asked her if she could send me something:


Oh yes. There be ramps stateside!

She was gracious enough to send them out, and then sweet enough to tell me they were a birthday present and that I owed her nothing. Well, thank you Emily!

Here are some cleaned ramps, getting ready for some cooking:


2 comments:

  1. were you able to keep any for growing next year?

    also are they kinda oniony?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think they've been able to cultivate them. I know I haven't, but I'm not the most patient type with certain things. The season is only a few weeks in April and May, and they seem to just grow wild in the swamps of the Midwest and mid-atlantic regions.

    Their flavor is in between garlic and onion, mimicking both. They're good, but brief...

    ReplyDelete