Saturday, January 16, 2016

The Simple Pleasures of Simple Lives

Jimmy B is getting married! He and his lady have decided to make it official in early April, and he's asked me to be a groomsman. The last weekend of my winter's vacation was spent in San Diego at a bachelor's party.

It was an all-timer lineup: Jimmy, Ryan, Steve, Eric and Ken made it down from San Luis Obispo, Sam made it down from Albany, Jimmy's brother-in-law made it down from the peninsular Bay Area, and Tony, visiting from Louisiana, rode with me from Long Beach.

Many of the shenanigans that occurred were, of course, meant to be left is San Diego county.

Upon returning to our apartment, the relief I felt was a tiny bit surprising. As Tony relaxed into an early evening post-dinner nap in our CAPS chair, I cuddled with Corrie on the couch. We were watching the Test Kitchen or Jacques Pepin.

It was then, sitting on the couch as the furnace blew hot air, that I replayed the many conversations I listened to and participated in over the previous two days. It was interesting to hear what life is like for people to whom I feel very close. Maybe that should be Life, with the capital "L."

Over the years Corrie and I have adventured around this rock a few times, and maybe the lives we live would not seem Simple to some people. While our vacation decisions differ greatly from many Americans, and we cook at home more than most (it turns out), we do like the simple pleasures.

And, when all is said and done, it turns out we like a quiet night on the couch watching PBS.

Pretty boring. No Tuesday nights at the bar, no fighting kids, no revolution-building talks at the cafe...

I need to get back to the book I'm writing...

No comments:

Post a Comment