Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Day The Last: Sheets of Rain; Flight; Heatwave

Our last day in New York felt kinda like the scene in Goodfellas when Henry Hill finally gets busted.

I woke early in Bedford so I could get a shower. Corrie had showered at night, but I would get too sweaty over night, so I set my alarm. One thing this trip had been fantastic for was messing up the Boy's routine. We knew that would be the case going into it, but it was weird setting my alarm. (I woke up before it, like always...)

It was already raining when we had breakfast, and it started coming down harder as we left for Dobbs Ferry. We had borrowed some things from Marc and Linda and had to head back and return them.

We hung out a bit there letting traffic die down, but the rain picked up. As I ran back to the car with Cass, a few huge drops landed right on his face; he let out quite an angry yelp.

Driving towards Kennedy airport with the windshield wipers on full steam, I could barely see. Certain times, when a car in the next lane would hit one of the interlane puddles, water would sheet over my windshield and I couldn't see anything at all. In those moments I would let off the throttle and hope to not hydroplane.

The rental guys gave us a ride over to the terminal, which was appreciated. We needed to rearrange our bags since the big one was over 60 pounds (over 50 was an extra $100).

Now we got to experience the daytime flight with the teething one-year-old. It was similar to the red-eye, only he slept less, and was more cranky about being fairly restrained.

It would seem the answer to the question posed a few days ago would be: the red-eye allows the child to sleep longer and more naturally.

When we got back to Long Beach they said it was 80 degrees, but it felt like a hundred, and in the apartment it felt hotter, sweltering even.

In the cab I rode in the front seat, as the Boy in his car seat and Corrie were in the back seat. It was 5:15, and my thoughts drifted back east, where it was a quarter after 8. Marc would be home and the kids heading off to bed. Anne and Val may be doing whatever successful executives do on a Friday evening. Clare and Henry likely game planning the future for their beloved dog Lucy, whom they just discovered was more ill than they realized.

The sun was likely mostly down there, From the front seat of the cab, the sun blasted my tired eyes, the cabbie's air conditioning dried them out.

We made it home, tried to get the air to flow, ordered food and started cleaning the cat mess. 

Life was back to normal, and we'd just awoke from one of those travel-dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment