Friday, June 28, 2019

il nostro Italiano Viaggio: An Introduction

Back in 2017, in La Rochelle, an Atlantic coastal city in France, saw the 2017 edition of International Pynchon Week, a week-long celebration of my favorite author, Thomas Pynchon.

I though it would have been coo to go, but that summer already had our little and young family heading to New York for the Grandpa Tom deal at Uncle Tom's, and an overseas flight and trip was out of the question. I even joked to Norm that at some point in the future we should get out shit together and head over to one of the bi-annual meetings.

Sometime early last year it was announced that Rome would host the 2019 edition, and the call went out for submissions of papers or presentations. That specific call came in February, with a deadline of August 31st. My plan, as I may have stated before, was to send of a proposal that was to be rushed and of possibly low-ish quality in an attempt to get my name in the mix for possibly 2021 or 2023.

After a few beers on August 29th I wrote up the ideas I had and emailed it off. A few weeks later I was notified that it was accepted.

That mostly sealed the deal. We started planning the trip. And by that, I mean Corrie started planning the trip. The conference was to be directly after my year ended and would encompass Cass's third birthday. We would take along with us our 14 year old niece Lola. As we looked at airline tickets and plans, we decided to do a week in Rome, a week on Sicily, and a few days in Naples to check out Pompeii and the Amalfi coast.

That was the general plan. It's all done now, and starting to take on the dream-like quality of all grand voyages in time.

So...the impetus:


And, the quote from Hank Scorpio flowed through my head most of the time: "Heh heh. Nobody ever says Italy":


No comments:

Post a Comment