Monday, April 19, 2021

Why are cars from 1971 so beautiful?

I'm not making the case that 1971 was the high point for beauty in automobiles. Um...maybe I could, though? 

When I was looking through pictures the other (eh...day?) time, I kept seeing 1971 as being a holder for some of my most favorite-for-their-beauty cars ever. I mean, I've mentioned a few times my feeling for the Datsun 240Z:


And I know that the 240Z started a few years back, but mine was a '71, and now that's fifty years back, and I got to looking around at other STUNNING cars from that same calendar year.

How about the Ford GT40:


Now, for full disclosure, this isn't my favorite year for the Ford GT40, but it is still a striking car.

How about maybe my favorite Corvette, the '71 Stingray:


I used to think that I liked the earlier Stingrays, with the split window and the older-fashioned front-end, but that was wrong. In my heart, this smarmy 'Vette was always my favorite, and they looked like this for a similar timeframe as my Z-cars.

In a book I thumbed through once, I put eyes on a Ferrari Dino from the late '60s or early '70s and said to myself: That's IT. That's the most beautiful car ever. Up to that point, my favorite car was either Magnum's exotic red beauty (the 288 GTO) or the yellow Lamborghini Countach from the poster that adorned my bedroom wall. (I was proud that I could spell Lamborghini, but favored the red Ferrari from Magnum PI.)

Once I saw that Dino, I thought: that's an easy compromise. Here's the '71:


But of course THEN I saw a different car that took over as THE MOST BEAUTIFUL CAR EVER. And again, in my own opinion, the earlier Ford GT could make a claim here as well, but my heart lies in Italy.

Behold, the 1971 Lamborghini Miura, quite possibly THE MOST BEAUTIFUL CAR EVER:


Obviously I'm not enamored with American muscle cars. I liked Bandit's Trans Am, and I liked the Dukes' Charger, and I liked specific Cadillacs from the '60s and '70s, and the Galaxie and Impala, but c'mon!

The exotic curves and mid-mounted V-12 engines...what else is there to say?

1 comment:

  1. I am not a car fanatic they have to be practical and functional for my lifestyle.... but I can and do appreciate the beauty of cars... these are beautiful cars....

    ReplyDelete