Saturday, July 23, 2022

Bike Adventures Summer 2022

Cass's old bike died a while back, and we got him a nice, legit kid's bike. Not an inexpensive version, quite the opposite, really. At first he didn't like it; in fact he was terrified. But eventually this summer I got to take him out without my own bike, to help him remember that he knows how to ride.

He got it soon enough, and we went out together for a nice ride to get ice cream treats at the pier. The next day, Cass tells me, "So, dad, I just remembered that I love my bike and I want to ride everyday."

And my heart in my chest says, "HELL YES, BOYO!" The next day we went in the morning. And we went in the afternoon. We rode down 3rd street to Caesar Chavez Park at the 710, rode around the back of the park, then under the freeway to the river ride, then around the marina to the stairwell up to the walk/ride-way at the convention center, which is a quick jaunt home.


The first ride Cass has us backtrack from the stairwell at the convention center. It was awesome in any case.


Trying to stop for pictures is always fun.  Or difficult. Or both.

Ditched the helmets

Below he got himself going on his own:


I accidentally took this picture, but it turned out pretty good:

I was inspired to try my "Under the Bridge" idea again:



Cass was like: "Why does it smell like pee-pee right here?" I said, That's a good question, dude, but these fine folks gotta go somewhere. Trying to have a convo about real stuff...

My bike blew its tire on the second ride, and it's currently getting fixed. Cass still wants to ride every day, and I'm certainly willing to oblige him.

He gets a look at deep water at a spit near the Catalina landing, and that awe will never leave him:

No comments:

Post a Comment