Friday, December 30, 2022

More AI Fun: With the Kids

My son was inspired to give me a prompt for the AI art generator when I was showing the fam the pics I made for my recent post. The last picture I generated was "a cat and a dog play ping pong with a flaming frog" was the cue for him. We tried a few "dinosaurs playing ping pong" before moving on to the main event.

At first he wanted "a cat fights a dog on top of a train," but that seemed WAY too easy. Once i replaced 'dog' with 'tornado', I knew i had some generator-breaking material. Once I generated the fist image (using NightCafe), I simply cycled through their different style filters.

So, here we go:

"a cat fights a tornado on top of a train"


This was the default style setting, I suppose, and I don't remember what, if anything, it was called. I'd be pretending if I said I knew what I was looking at. Is that a hamster? A cat's butt? I see train tracks, but no train.

From here, I started clicking on new styles. First:

Renaissance
And then:
Impressionism

I guess it makes sense that there's no train in the Renaissance era, since there were no trains, but if it's just a style? But then the Impressionists forgot the cat?

We're off to a great start: smoking cat butt, ghostly cat Renaissance scene, and a smoky Van Gogh-lite train.

Magic World

This was a setting that had, like, a Gandalf-inspired wizard-type of character in a shire. I thought we might get a tough kitty and some magical swirls of a fighting a tornado. Instead...a misty train valley and a beacon of light. Ohhhh-kay.

Wood-block Print

Who knew they had a "wood-block print" setting? This one at least has a cat and some windy/smoky/stormy thing going on.

Since each rendering took anywhere between ten and fifty seconds, the kids interest was waning and we were getting ready to move onto other things for the day. The last style setting had a too-good-to-be-true name:

Architectural Rendering

It's also one of the best pictures? One of the weirdest, at least. The cat IS the train, so the battle is internal...?

Is the fear about AI art generators more about artists becoming obsolete or more about the general sharpening of AI's abilities?

Here are some dinosaurs "playing ping pong:"

Renaissance

Impressionism

No comments:

Post a Comment