Friday, January 27, 2023

That '90s Show Notes

Corrie and I haven't yet started to watch the new nostalgia-driven Netflix-funded continuation of That '70s Show, creatively titled That '90s Show.

But the premise got me thinking: when the original series first aired, starting in 1998, most of the ensemble were between 18 and 20 years old, (Mila Kunis was famously 14). In the new series, the year is now 1995, and the daughter of Topher's Eric and Laura's Donna (how did Donna let them name their daughter Leia?) is 15 years old.

That would essentially make her the same age as the original actors, were a few years before they got the gig working the sitcom.

This seems like it has the opportunity to explode the nostalgia, a real life force multiplier, nostalgia upon nostalgia upon nostalgia.

Anyway, I'm right in that age group (of the actual actors and the fictional Leia), that lost generation, too young for Gen X and too old for Millenial...

2 comments:

  1. Watched the first of the That 90's show and wasn't impressed. I really as in REALLY want the laugh track gone.... I will try again at a later date to see if it works... Jackie and Kelso's kid is a good cast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read that the show is filmed in front of a live audience, so, eh, maybe stop doing that...? Like Malcolm in the Middle, I guess. Corrie and I haven't finished it yet, but me personally, I tend to like it. I really like the casting of Leia, half Eric and half Donna, and, I do like most of the cast. I think my own alterations I made to my general perspective, like trying to be positive for my kids, made me see the things I liked about the show instead of other glaring issues.

    ReplyDelete