Thursday, May 4, 2023

May the 4th

Earlier today I was mentioning that if, thirty years ago, I would have been told that people would cheekily, yet earnestly, salute each other with "May the 4th be with you" on, er, the 4th of May, as a tribute to Star Wars, I would have called bullshit.

If that same younger version of me would have been told that the biggest movie property of the era three decades hence, so massive and business-model-altering and so all-encompassing that it causes a kind of fatigue due to overexposure that depresses its own commercial viability was based on Avengers comic characters? AVENGERS?

I know I've mentioned this before. I have a series of sprawling and/or rambling theories on this and related topics. Things like: when it was the fifties/early sixties, the battle for holder of the popular narrative was waged between the squares and the freaks (names coming from their adversaries). The freaks won. When the same battle happened in the eighties, it was between the jocks and the nerds, and the nerds clearly won.

The macho, pushy, this-is-the-way-it-has-always-been-so-it-can't-change group keeps losing.

Anyway, here's a link that talks Andor and links to all other Star Wars posts I made over the years. May the 4th be with you.

NEEEEERRRRDDDD!!!!!!

"Hey buddy, did you see that nerd?"

"Excuse me?" 

Even then they knew who would win...reason number 665 why the Simpsons rules and was ahead of the wave.

No comments:

Post a Comment