Friday, March 8, 2024

Learning Something Everyday

I pride myself in my ability to be open to learn new things, to have my world rocked whenever necessary. Like the other day a few weeks back when I learned about Norval Morrisseau and his works. This moment is in that same vein: an artists came known to me today: Wadsworth Jarrell.

A Black American from Georgia, born in 1929, had his arts education in Chicago in the '50s, co-founded AfriCOBRA in 1969 (the African Commune of Bad Relevant Artists) and painted works like this, called "Revolutionary:"


The kaleidoscopic colors! The words! Angela Davis! If you can see close-up, you can make out quotes by Angela Davis herself, Malcolm X, and other quotes from the Black Panthers in general among the rest.

I'm sure there are plenty of cool stuff by people I've to hear about. But inspiration should be shared. This also looks somewhat lije an arruffato work, as here we can see how it may have come together:


As always, I'm enjoying expanding my horizon...

No comments:

Post a Comment