Friday, January 8, 2010

Catching Up

Corrie and I made it out the day after the Winter Solstice. We left Brooklyn the day directly after the first snow storm. I tried to take a picture of the snow, but my camera had the flash on, and this is how it came out.



This was our truck the next day:



After digging out the truck, I drove carefully to Flatbush, across Brooklyn to the Manhattan Bridge, over it, through Chinatown and into Jersey. From there we took I-78 all the way to I-81, somewhere in Pennsylvania, and started south, spending the night in Roanoke, Virginia.

All along the way, the entire first day and halfway through the second day, into Tennessee, but before we got to Knoxville, snow from that huge eastern seaboard snow storm had blanketed every tree and square foot of rock and dirt within eyesight of the highway. There was a near car collision, where I was almost run off the road by a semi trying to let another semi onto the freeway, and by the time I shot the gate, so to say, jumped out in front and got back over to the slow lane, there wasn't any more snow. Bizarre.

The second day was the drive from Roanoke to a while past Nashville, which reminds me: Tennessee is a long state. The third day we drove through some of the South's metropolises: Memphis, Little Rock, Arkadelphia, Texarkana...eventually we decided to just finish off the drive, and go straight to Austin. Later that night we skirted Dallas, zoomed through Waco, and sailed into Austin a little after midnight.

Here's a shot of Little Rock.



Tux liked his seat...

1 comment:

  1. Funny, Gus enjoys the same position... however he isn't allowed to sit there very long... he rests with the passenger if allowed... Thanks for the pictures..

    ReplyDelete