Friday, February 19, 2010

And the Stench Hung in the Air...

After getting my fill of the coverage of Austin's plane crasher/house burner, I decided a I needed a bike ride. Since I stopped partaking in a certain smelly tobacco habit, I like the occasional energy burn-off that actually gives you energy. But when I left the house and got on the bicycle, the air had a recognizable stench.

At first it smelled like the fields before Vallejo, where the air is thick with the odor of processing petroleum. This is Texas, but around Austin you never smell oil fields. After a moment I noticed that petrol wasn't the smell exactly, but more of a combination of industrial building supplies being burned. And since many plastics and a few building supplies are made of petroleum distillates, the initial smell made sense.

So, yeah, I guess we were close enough to be in the smelly fallout from the plane-into-the-building morning.

I noticed yesterday that about twenty minutes after I posted a link to the guy's rant on his website that it had been taken down by the FBI. It was then that I was glad that I made a document copy of it before it was snatched. I thought I'd post an entire blog entry under the title "The People Have a Right to Know" with the copied and pasted letter, which, while rambling and angry, has some interesting topics that should be discussed in the mainstream media but of course now will never be taken seriously by anybody. But, one of the local TV stations beat me to it, and I'm sure other sources did as well, and a first amendment fight was never going to be an issue.

I have a roommate who works for the IRS, and she said that the building that was hit yesterday, that it wasn't the main office space for normal rank-and-file IRS workers, but rather the property seizures department.

Sounds about right.

No comments:

Post a Comment