Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Some Winter Olympic Notes

I think I just realized why I enjoy the Winter Olympics...

I've never been a rah-rah go-'mer'ka kinda guy, and sometimes those kinds of people really get under my skin.

But, I'm a silly kind of spectator in that pretty much any sport will entertain me when on the idiot box. As people who know me know, I love baseball, watch football, soccer, hockey, college basketball, lady sports, volleyball, track and field (too bad this is only a hot tv item once every 48 months), curling (which I haven't seen yet)...pretty much anything. I especially like it when I don't recognize or understand what's going on and the announcers speak a language other than English...sometimes even when they speak English it doesn't neccesarily help out--cricket anyone?

What I'm getting at here is that once every two years (Summer and Winter Olympics alternate their four year cycles, if you haven't noticed) people who don't ever really give a shit about sports become enthralled. I realized I enjoy that, and that's why I like the Olympics...

The cyclical nature of fanaticism in a single sport affecting the entire world is also coming up this year: the World Cup, something that I'm getting excited about already.

No comments:

Post a Comment