Sunday, July 4, 2010

Blogger Breaks Silence!

On this day, the fourth day of Caesar's month, when a parchment was signed by rich colonials telling a king they weren't going to be paying taxes anymore (a day we currently celebrate by blowing shit up in colorful ways) I turned on ESPN (I'm housesitting currently, and they have cable, and I'm happy I can watch soccer not on a lappy) and saw a shocking sight.

ESPN, not ESPN2 or ESPNews or any other affiliation, was broadcasting live from Brooklyn's Coney Island the Nathan's Hot-dog Eating Contest. (Shudder) I'm not...I don't...

I'm very competitive. I hate losing. I like participating in and spectating on most sporting events. Competitive eating bothers me. Probably because of my fine dining experience I now respect nice food, and food in general, and such a disrespectful thing like cramming hot-dogs into one's craw--against a timer--gets under my skin. Those hot-dogs give me the belches...I won't lie, I've definitely had Nathan's before (we did live in Brooklyn for three-and-a-half years), and they're famous, and supposedly the "best."

So there I was, trying to figure out my day, the Cubbies/Reds game not on yet, and on ESPN there were ten people (guys and one girl) shoveling bare wieners and soggy buns into their mouth. Chewing, shaking their heads, cramming soggy messes into their gob's, grabbing more buns&wieners and dipping them into a liquid of their choice, their sweaty faces covered in bun fragments, mugging to the crowd, which was sizable...quite disgusting by my measure.

Just one of those things...

This is the house for which we're sitting...love the trees...


3 comments:

  1. OH yes... competitive eating.... a SPORT?? amazing... but then as I've had food issues all my life it is scary.... I'll have a hot dog now and then... mainly at Costco where they are $1.50 and I can get a drink with that... makes for a fast lunch when picking up office supplies... but that's one dog every so often... not 58 in 10 minutes... or whatever the rate of hot dog consumption is these days....

    ReplyDelete
  2. The record of hot-dog eating was 68 in the ten minute span, and some of the discussion was that somebody would have to get to seventy to win, but Chestnut won the match easily with something like 54. I remember seeing the eaters, as they scarfed, and ESPN would show "stats" like "Once ate 209 oysters in 18 minutes" and "Once ate 14 pounds of french-fries in 21 minutes." Jeeze. Also, I hear backstage was the place to be, where most contestants were, um, purging themselves. Gross.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ewwwwwww yes... 54 down in 10 minutes.. back up in less than 15 seconds....

    ReplyDelete