Monday, December 20, 2010

Local Free Theater

Our apartment complex in Austin has a movie theater room with exactly 21 seats and a big(ish) screen. There is one catch to using the room: while it is free, you can only use it when the management's office is open.

Because of my love of cinema, it was a big draw for me when we were scoping out apartments. Once we moved in I realized that it would be frustrating--having a "toy" like that so close--since I'm pretty much always busy with two jobs. But...

We finally made it on a day I had off from both jobs (and it wasn't Sunday). Alone, we viewed:



It's been so long since we'd watched it that I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed the film, especially viewing it on a big screen. I remember thinking, once it's over, Inception-like, how much of this story is reliable?

Corrie went out of town to have a Decemberween celebration with her family (our 12/25 will be with my fam in California), and I went down to the theater by myself to watch one of my original two suggestions. (My other suggestion was Katsuhiro Otomo's Akira). Alone, I watched:



I have more to say about this movie later. The acting, the makeup, the cinematography, the sets, and the music are all stupidly good, have withstood the test of time, and are almost cliched by their repeated copying in the years since. I saw scenes from The Simpsons that I hadn't realized were from this before this viewing (sure, there are obvious ones, some were less obvious). The poster is correct: it's terrific.

1 comment:

  1. I'd love to see Kane on a big screen "restored" and without commercial interruptions, Usual Suspects is one I've seen but its been quite some time, I remember the ending and going "wait... really???" I did enjoy it... it wasn't cheap or a trick.

    Glad you had time to use the theatre.

    ReplyDelete