Monday, December 13, 2010

My Apologies to Mr. Shockley

Jim Shockley is a good friend of ours who, while we lived in Brooklyn, lived upstate a tiny ways, and at whose house we'd go when we needed a weekend out of town. He taught me to love the Jets, the younger and usually more hapless of New York's two football teams.

There was a shirt that he had purchased, a New York Titans t-shirt, signifying when the Jets were originally called the Titans, that didn't fit him but did fit me, so it became my shirt. (I don't believe I've paid for it yet...)

Well, being a silly superstitious fan (usually only with the Jets), yesterday when our broadcaster switched over from the Patriots blowing out the Bears in the Chicago snow to the Jets and Dolphins, I asked Corrie if I'd worn it the last time the Jets had played, or the last time I watched them win. See, if you wear the shirt and they win, you have to wear it again the next week, but if you wear it and they lose, you can't wear it until after they win again--at least that's my understanding. Corrie rolled her eyes at me and put out another tray of food, since yesterday (Sunday) was our little housewarming/holiday party.

I changed into the shirt. The Jets lost, and I remembered that the last time I wore it while watching Gang Green was when they got shut-out against the Packers. Dammit.

So, my apologies to by buddy Jim, for screwing up the shirt rotation.

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe a son of mine would mess up the Shirt Rotation.. the sacred superstition ritual...
    OMG... really?

    Thanks for the giggle today. I needed it.

    ReplyDelete