Monday, May 7, 2012

My Kurosawa Photo

Taken from Dan's speeding car as we wound through the mountains at speed:


Akira Kurosawa, the acclaimed Japanese filmmaker, once used pointing his camera towards at the treetops aimed it at the sun as an innovation in the industry. It makes you feel small and insignificant yet connected to nature at the same time.

As we traveled through the mountains separating I-5 from our family's Cabin to do some necessary housework before the contractors arrive to do serious work, I lamented the many years it's taken me to get back. That was my first trip since 2004 when I took Corrie for her only trip.

Living back east taught us to appreciate the little things like visits and trips and the surrounding sights, be they very close or quite far away, and it has been since then that I was positively itching to get back to the Cabin. It never worked out. 2008: the wedding, then we were so broke we couldn't even rent a car in August of the same year for Norm's wedding; 2009: trips to Chicago, Madison, and OKC, then we moved to Texas; 2010: SLO for San and Aurrie's wedding, where we also got to see Sacramento, San Jose and Fresno; and 2011: I worked so much we only really got to see Sac for Norman's emergence, SLO a few times, and Catalina.

So, when the opportunity to do some work up at the Cabin came up, and I could swing it, the daunting ride couldn't hold me back. Six hours up to Sac Friday night. Three hours up to the Cabin and three hours back on Saturday. Six hours back to Long Beach.

I've got more pictures and anecdotes, but this, my "Kurosawa Shot", is the first taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment