Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Starting Slowly: Differences Between Dan and Me

One of my mom's uncles was cracking a joke after the evening was mostly over. While our family was sitting in a large circle, he asked me, while I was running around and stopped by to visit for a moment, that since I had been married for almost four years now how come I didn't talk Dan out of getting married. This uncle never struck me as someone who regretted marriage, and maybe he thought the joke was a form of playing it safe with the youth.

In general I'm not so cynical that I hate marriage and being married, but that wasn't what I focused on when I answered him. I said something like, "Well, if you want to talk Dan out of something, you better not have me involved. He's done pretty well for himself seeing how I do things, and then doing the opposite."

They laughed and agreed that once Dan had decided on something, he was pretty set on it. In many ways he and I are very similar. Someone who knows me well but is non-family was at the wedding and told me that she'd just seen Dan making a gesture that was exactly the same as one she'd only seen from me on the past.

In other ways, we're pretty different. I won't bore my few readers with some of the details; I'll only leave you with two pictures. The first is the floor on my side of the bed.


Since you can't see how messy this side gets when you walk into the room, Corrie doesn't mind how I leave it and never gets after me for being a messy-marvin. Somedays it's fine, other days it gets bad. This is after a nice haul of not-caring.

Now the next picture gives a little insight of my brother:


In case you're curious, that's my brother's junk drawer. It looks more organized than my library, so much so that I hazarded a claim that "junk drawer" may not be an appropriate name for the site.

He apologized for its disheveled nature and said that he was meaning to get it back into shape.

1 comment: