Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Earthquakes are Cool Until They Destroy Your House

Maybe a half-hour ago I was sitting on the couch when it started to rumble. It slowly, but noticeably, shook the couch for maybe thirty or forty seconds.

At first I thought it was kinda cool. It was exciting and almost massage like. As it kept on, though, the adrenaline started to flow, and a weird dread began to emanate from my gut. How exactly could I get about with this leg and crutches?

Our apartment building, a '20s era four-plex, is a solidly built cube, and we aren't nervous about its status during a quake. But tonight was the first time I could feel it in a few years.

It turns out it was a magnitude 4.4 quake centered in Yorba Linda, a city in Orange County. Here's a map I snatched from a local news website, and the star is where the epicenter is located.


I'm ready for the Big One.

Well...eh, I'll be ready for the Big One, in a couple of weeks when I can put weight on both my legs.

1 comment:

  1. flashlight, good shoes, plenty of drinking water and you are good to go... the good shoes for climbing over rubble... or if you are like me... a boot for your busted ankle and no rubble climbing allowed.... Glad you got through this one okay....

    ReplyDelete