Monday, January 7, 2013

New Ride

For the December 25th Gift Day celebration Corrie pledged to get me a new bike. How exciting for the both of us, since we could resume our paired travels on the weekend. Those had been on hiatus since October, when the Karmic balance tipped against some poor dickhead.

But finally a suitable specimen was found. This is my third bike purchased in Long Beach, and from a third different establishment. Spreading that money around, I guess. Corrie's bike came from a fourth bike shop, so we're really equal opportunity spenders.

Here's a picture from nearly the same spot as my October wanted poster:


It's a balloon-tired cruiser with a big comfy saddle and leather handles on the bar. I may switch out the handlebars for a different pair, but this is a pretty classic look. This next picture has a better use of the sunlight:


Notice the new U lock bolted on. Not fucking around anymore.

Corrie and I had been at a diner eating breakfast, and had discussed the possibility of getting a bike on the way home. At least checking out the bike stores. The day before, which had been the 26th, I'd gone to a bike shop and basically picked out what I wanted. They were going to have to order it, and I wasn't ready to commit. I said Thanks, but maybe later.

Cut to the next day, walking home, and we walk by a bike shop and go inside and start talking with them. It turned out that at breakfast Corrie had read a tiny missive in our local paper about a bike shop winning a small business award, and it was THIS shop, and they didn't even know! It's this kind of detail that tricks residents here in the LB to think of our beach town as a small town.

In any case, they were real cool; they knew this blogging chick I read (Lovely Bicycle!); the appreciate the old steel frames (like Corrie's bike and my Frankenbike project); and they were very interested in Robot Crickets.

The bike I got had some nicks and dings, so they gave me a break on the price. I said I, too, had nicks and dings. I'll be going back periodically for the add-ons I want, like a chain guard, rack for the back, and possibly a small fender system.

It's good to be locally mobile again.

1 comment:

  1. trying again to post... I love the tires... cool looking bike....

    I bet you are really happy to be back on the rode again....

    ReplyDelete