Sunday, April 20, 2014

Happy Birthday Tuxedo

Today is the day we celebrate Tuxedo's birthday...we don't know the true date, just that it was between March and May. At first we chose March 17th as the day to celebrate, but after some discussions with our erstwhile vet, we chose to move up the celebration day, and settled on the 20th of April. So, happy birthday Tux!

He's ten years old. Ten. Years. Old. I'm not sure how to feel about that. Right now we're battling something that's wrong with him, and that's frustrating, since nobody really knows what's wrong. We've got a plan of action, which is nice, but still, it's mostly groping in the dark.

Other tidbits...

While in Portland, Corrie and I saw a dog that we both felt like we could settle on when the time comes for us to get a dog (which is on the horizon somewhere). I'm not going to say now, but this is an exciting moment, since we've discussed on many occasions what kind of dog would make both of us happy, and be able to be with us in our living conditions.

On May 4th the Simpsons is debuting their Lego episode. It begins with Homer waking up in a Lego world and thinking something isn't right. Or something like that. In an interview I read, the writers and producers mention that the Lego aspect is partially aimed at the kids of the show's primary viewers. That's how old we are, folks: we grew up having our notions of humor shaped by The Simpsons, and now are having kids and showing them the same show that we grew up watching, only it's not the same show. A local channel here in LA shows reruns during the time of evening when I'm doing dishes and getting dinner ready. The episodes were from season 14 or 15, and were shows I'd never seen. I didn't pay much attention to them.

Then, sometime last week, I noticed the colors were far older looking, and the episode was one I'd seen, but couldn't immediately place. It turned out to be the Whacking Day episode, and I stopped working and found myself watching, shaking my head that this episode was on broadcast television in 1992 or whatever. It's a show about clubbing snakes to death and even has Marge getting turned on by Homer's practicing.

Broadcast, primetime network television.

I neglected to mention that I started reading The Pale King, Wallace's meditation on boredom and existential dread---and the Internal Revenue Service---on precisely April 15th. It seemed fitting and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment