Thursday, March 17, 2016

"The Stations of the Beer Baron" in the Medium of Meme

In honor of St. Patrick's Day, and after a few years, I'm here to present a project idea I've finally been able to finish: The Stations of the Beer Baron

My medium for this project turned out to be memes. This would have been totally impossible if not for Frinkiac.com, a Simpsons-based meme creator.

The idea I always had for this project was to take lines from the episode "Homer Versus the Eighteenth Amendment" and pair them with a prescient video clip from the same episode. I can say that I'm nearly satisfied with this endeavor. There were some images I couldn't get, or maybe didn't get, but for the most part, this was a pretty decent first attempt.

Another thing: I was originally looking to do fourteen stations. I actually have twelve. Upon closer inspection, as I put these together the other night it seemed ridiculous to have at least fourteen (or twelve) distinct moments from a twenty-two minute show.

Jam packed with jokes, I suppose.

So, here we go, the not-yet-perfected "Stations of the Beer Baron:"

1

I remember the first moment I saw this episode, and noticing the weirdness of the gray sky before Bart calls out Lisa's "stupid green dress." I perked up: the only time I remembered anyone ever caring about wearing green in elementary school was St. Paddy's, but how could anyone outside of Lichen Elementary or Sacramento know about that?

See? This show opened my world pretty deeply, and I was in high school at the time, even as pinching was still the tradition. When Nelson looks over his shoulder with the shamrock emblazoned bowler, my eyes widened.

It was twenty years ago and I still remember how my eyes widened and the glee inside rose. Ten seconds in, maybe?

2

This was our mantra for years in college, all those times waiting in line for McCarthy's to open. Corrie and I visited last summer to the new McCarthy's and met some Poly grads who were so young that to them it was "McCarthy's and the Old McCarthy's" instead of "McCarthy's and the New McCarthy's".

Time rolls on. I'm not at this spot anymore for sure, but it occupies a fond spot in the memory banks.

3

Great line, great Harry Shearer read. Always makes me laugh...

4

I really wanted a shot of drunken Bart walking along the street with his buddies cheering, but this was a limitation to be bested in due time. Still cracks me up.

5

Love this image and word combo. An OG meme. Also, a fantastic example of how the Irish don't complain about how they're portrayed in various media.

6

I prefer the line following this, from Bart: "The beer in the barrels is gone, Beer Baron, we're outta business."

7

I wanted a shot of Homer crushing the gravestone, but that seemed too morbid.

8

Classic line.

9

Marge joining in? Always liked the look.

 10

A line used regularly around these quarters.

11

"...and I've decided to quit."

12

One of the greatest memes from the pre-meme era.

**

The cops getting bribed, or machine gunning the beer barrels, or Rex Banner trying to laugh, or Wiggum lamenting his having to sell his trigger to feed his family, or the crowd at the "best damn pet store in town" hiding their beers behind their backs were all desired, but hard to find with the awesome Frinkiac.com.

Also, the spinning newspapers sub articles: "Bums Threaten to Leave Town" and, the possibly funnier, "Bums Extend Deadline" are visual gags left out by the great resource.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment