Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Recent Adventures, Part One

I've been too busy to get to the long(ish) post about being left to my own devices while Corrie and Cass met the Dolman family at large in OKC. It was the Boy's first flight, and my first non-work related absence from him.

Anyway, I got a text the other day saying something like, "Hey, I've got an extra ticket to the Angels game on Tuesday...in a suite, food and beer supplied. You in?"

How do you say no to that?

It felt pretty easy, actually, but I resisted the urge to decline. I was/still am quite sick, and Corrie had only been home for a few days, and it didn't feel right to take off to a game, even if the ride was included...(sigh)...ride included? Ride to and from Anaheim, food, and beer provided for a suite experience? Corrie said it best: "You kinda have to go."


The spot was phenomenal, even if the photo doesn't do it justice. Above is baseball's best player, Mike Trout, in the batter's box.

Maybe he's baseball's best player ever...

On the ride home my friend's radio was tuned to news radio, and the second thing I could hear was a traffic report.

It was 11:05 at night and the radio program was discussing a traffic report, which was more than two sentences---there was plenty of traffic news to report.

Let that sink in.

The Angels broke a scoreless tie in the middle innings, then the White Sox roared back and took the lead. The friend who texted me is from a Chicago and is a Sox fan, and the company that rents out the suite knows he's a Sox fan, and so once a year, when they're in town, they get him and his pals the suite. Pretty sweet. (Oh, homophones...)

In the bottom of the 9th inning, the Angels tied it, but didn't win the game. After a scoreless 10th, I leaned over to my other buddy, the one that drove, and asked how long he wanted to stay. I don't really care about either team, and needed to get some rest. He said he was pretty much ready whenever.

The third in our literary-minded trio was already asleep on a chair in the suite. After some incriminating phots, we woke him and left. (The photos were not my idea and I refused to participate. Spoil sport, I guess...)

As we walked out, a White Sox player hit a home run, putting them ahead in the top of the 11th inning.

I still don't know for sure who won...

1 comment:

  1. I can understand you going.... and I understand you leaving early.... but not knowing who won the game?? YOU.... Really??? that I find hard to believe....

    ReplyDelete