Monday, December 4, 2017

Day Zero; Scottsdale; Great Grandparents

The driving post summed up the end of the driving pretty well, but the beginning was pretty chill, if a stuffed freeway all travelling 80 miles an hour can be chill. After a long week, or, rather, a long few weeks of little sleep and research paper writing, I was running on fumes for the last hour into Blythe. My eyelids were fighting me.

Cass had been asleep for the majority of the drive when we switched, but he was quiet and smiley when I took my spot next to him in the back seat. I might've said something silly, but immediately after put my head onto one of our pillows against the window and was done. When I came to, and what felt like just a few minutes had passed, I could see that we had already left I-10 for Phoenix's outer loop, AZ 101, and were on our way for the hotel, the one my mom puts people up n when they visit and arrive too late for normal people. It was nearly 3 am local time, our trip taking from 8 to 2, Friday night into Saturday morning (Arizona is an hour ahead of California this time of year).

Saturday we got to see my Grandma Lorraine and her new elder care facility. She's close enough to walk to a bookstore! She had books for Cassius! She seemed to be getting along okay, and was sure excited to see Cass. He's so much bigger than the last time we were out and she got to see him, which I believe that was last October for Grandpa Tom's memorial.

Anyway, she paid us one of the best compliments we ever heard: she said our boy has "such good manners." What toddler has good manners? Way to impress you 90+ year old Great Grandma, Boy!

The next day we hung out with my mom and went to the Train Park. Cass got to run around and play, which was necessary for the next day's needs: in the car for long stretches:


The picture above is from a miniature southwest style prison and sundries market, which was kinda cool.

Below, grandma loved "riding" the merry-go-round with the Boy:


And eventually I couldn't help myself with an artsy shot of Corrie and Cassius at their facsimile of a grand station house:


Maybe that's not what it was, but I never found out its true purpose, so that's what it was in my memory.

The next day we left for the Petrified Forrest, a national park, and Corrie drove through a part of Arizona I easily forget since I'm usually driving from LA to Phoenix.

No comments:

Post a Comment