Monday, July 27, 2020

Family Time

We arrived on July 15th, and my mom arrived on the 19th. My brother and his wife made it the next day, and the Gillans were set to come the same day: my mom had wanted to take the family Christmas card photo on Tuesday, the 21st. We still took the picture, but without Norm and Holly and their boys.

Those days before my mom got there had a different feeling, like the kind of family isolation I felt when we came as a kid: it's just you and your immediates, and the forest. I saw my son doing things I remember doing:


Walking down to the "resort," the title given to the general store/restaurant a half mile down the road, shirtless because it was too hot...

...or similarly, hiking through the forest in similar fashion:


Why the long pants, bruh?

Corrie and I stayed up late each night, watching the stars come out and laughed and talked. The "stars coming out" was a serious thing that I took for granted, and I'll be posting something about the Advanced Darkness later.

Because the land is a certified Dark Sky zone, it's crazy dark at night, and eventually the sky is spectacular. I have some nifty pics of our little patch of sky that I'll share later.

When my mom arrived, the feeling changed to the one I had whenever we were up hear with my own grandma. I appreciate it different now: extra hands to help with the kids. Supremely important.

We went to the Park on Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Tuesday my brother was there, and we ran some errands in Chester that day and took the picture.

The times were mellow, screenless (mostly), and hot in the sun.

One day, I gathered up the kids and walked down to the water Pipe, a walk my brother and I did daily with our grandma:


We used to drink out of it from time to time, usually against the protests of the adults. This time: no drinking.


We ate at the same ancient table that five generations have eaten at...

And chilled outside for snacks:


Like a pine-scented dream, the hours pass timelessly.

The plan is to help instill the kind of wonder in the Cabin in our own kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment