Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Making the Most out of Winter Vacation

"Vacation" has a funny ring to it during this pandemic.  

1. So this Happened

One of my family's traditions during this season is a series of baked goods that my mom makes and now, as we've all grown and moved further away than down the hall, mails to us. She sends family recipe biscotti, other cookies on occasion, and a wonderful treat we call "cheesies."

Cheesies are like cookies, but they're made from cheese and flour instead of sugar and flour. I was making dinner one night, removed one from the just-arrived package, and warmed it up on the lid of a saucepot. Babygirl came into the kitchen to "help" as she usually does, and so I let her try the cheesie.

She promptly shoved the entire thing into her gob:


I took that picture and sent it to my mom, letting her know that Camille was a fan. She asked if Cass was also a fan. I was texting her my answer, and then took a screen-capture of my phone because I couldn't believe my eyes on the auto-predictor...


"...regaling Corrie with exploits of his..." TESTICLES?

Also, I can't be the only person to use words like "regaling" and "exploits" in my texts...I even (properly) use semicolons...

2. Trips to the Beach

We try to keep things fresh with neighborhood walks, like to the PAC for photo-ops, or to the beach:

And since the weather generally helps out on these capers, we should be going more often.

On this day, sometime before the 25th, we frolicked and cavorted, without our masks, and for a few minutes it seemed like a regular December day when adults don't have to work and the world is carefree.

That's...unfortunately not the case in our year 2020 (5502 MHs), but sometimes we can fool ourselves.


But then, you know, almost time to replace the mask and go home...


And make dinner and go back to shuttering ourselves inside to beat back our surging invisible foe.

Vacation in the time COVID...where's Gabriel Garcia Marquez when we need him?

1 comment:

  1. I need to do this.... We can get out and drive to some close but different part of the area get out walk around a bit look at the plants and such and then return home...Vinnie could use a change in scenery too

    ReplyDelete