Wednesday, October 18, 2023

It's either Ming Na Wen or Andy Serkis...

I guess this rabbit hole jump started with Harrison Ford, playing integral parts in two film franchises that defined my childhood:


And inspired by the weird fact that Bill Paxton is the only actor to be Terminated, Predator-ated, and, er, Alienated:


Look at that, Lance Hendrickson was also done in by all three...does that mean AVP is canon? I'm losing focus...(I stole the image from the Internet)(Most of the rest of these I made myself from individually stolen pics...)

I started to think about the different actors who played big roles in the two tent pole franchises of today's era: Star Wars and the MCU. Two obvious candidates are Natalie Portman:


And Samuel L. Jackson:

But then my brain went a little more obscure. Like: did you remember that Forest Whitaker, Paul Bettany, and Woody Harrelson are part of both the Star Wars Universe and the Marvel Comics Movieverse?




I said the "Marvel Movieverse" because Woody played Carnage in Venom 2, which isn't quite the MCU proper.

That Paul Bettany and Woody Harrelson were in the Solo movie I think gets overlooked.

What about Ewan McGregor? Not the MCU, but the DC movie, er, deal(?) and the Star Wars Uni, naturally:


He plays the bad guy in the second Harley Quinn movie. But I guess that Tatooine sand ages you quickly:


That got me thinking about who played roles in multiple franchises or comic book movies. As far as that goes, how about big roles, like Batman and the God Killer, from Thor 4, both Christina Bale:


Or Venom and the Batman villain Bane, another Englishman, Tom Hardy:


How's about Josh Brolin, playing Dwight from the Sin City prequel, and Thanos, and Cable in Deadpool 2:


Oh jeeze, what about Ryan Reynolds, now that I mentioned Deadpool:


How about one of my favorites, Stellan SkarsgÄrd, in both the MCU (the Thor films) and Star Wars (in Andor), and I threw in his role as Bootstrap Bill in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies: (Where's the Chernobyl picture?)


Or Oscar Isaac, also of Dune, but surely Poe of the sequel trilogy and Moon Knight and X-Men baddie Apocalypse:


Even Rosario Dawson got in on the act, as Gail in the Sin City movies and as Ahsoka:


But to settle on the thesis (finally) for this whole endeavor: who is the ultimate king or queen of the super-hero/tent-pole movie cinematic universe shenanigans? 

I direct our attention to the title of this post for the two most likely culprits. For "king," as it were, I think it must be Andy Serkis. I mean, sheesh, check it out:


That's Klaw from the MCU (and Black Freaking Panther!), and Alfred from The Batman (so...DC comic movies), and as the prison boss in Andor (so the Star Wars universe too). BUT, he's also the motion capture king, starring as Golem in LOTR, Caesar in the reboot of the Planet of the Apes films, and already in the Star Wars universe as Snoke.

But ultimately the crown could go to Ming Na Wen. She's the only person who payed a Disney Princess (Mulan), exists in the MCU (from the A.G.E.N.T.S. of Shield program), exists in the Star Wars universe (as Fennec Shand from the Mandoverse) AND was Chun Li from Street Fighter AND was in ER. She even made a cameo in the live action Mulan, seen below:


I've been trying to put this together for at least a year now. In my head for longer. Finding the pictures and trying to paste them together taught me a few things:
  • There are a few more lists like this I want to, like different actors playing the same character across multiple interpretations (not quite the exact premise from this piece, but that one acts like an intro or preface);
  • I waste a bunch of time NOT working on shit I probably should be working on.
  • What about Ah-nold movies, or Sly and/or Jason Statham? All those guys mostly make up their own...things. What was I trying to do again?
This is where I lost the thread. For the three-hundreth time. And started to be annoyed at myself.

So...Andy Serkis or Ming Na Wen. I'm telling you! Who'd I miss? Plenty, surely...

No comments:

Post a Comment