Friday, October 16, 2009

Hand Signals Through the Window

Corrie and I just left the bar where we were watching the Yankees-Angels game, the first game of the ALCS, and a funny thing happened during the first few innings.


We were sitting at a table next to the glass doors that during the summer are opened but during the winter (autumn?) are definitely shut. The Yankees had just scored another run, pushing their lead at the time from 2-1 to 3-1. Everyone in the bar was screaming and clapping and jumping up and down, and in the moments afterward we took our seats, and I heard a knock at the glass.


Outside, in the windy cold, a passerby was trying to get our attention. When I looked over to him, he signaled with his fingers "2-1", two fingers on one hand, one on the other. I shook my head vehemently, and his eyes got large, looking likely to well at the prospect of the Yankees relinquishing the lead.


I held up three fingers on one hand and one on the other, telling him the score was now 3-1, and he almost collapsed in relief, storming off with heavy steps.


The international ice-breaker of sports in action again.


The score as of now, with the game still in progress is 4-1, Yankees up.

1 comment:

  1. I've been at airports, that have a game on but as they are always crowded and I don't drink I am generally forced to be on the outside... I love the folks who respond to my knock on the door....

    I enjoyed seeing you last weekend.... just wish I had had more time....it was a fast trip....

    ReplyDelete