Monday, October 19, 2009

Something Weird

I've made an effort to not ever relay any of my dreams on this blog...by dreams I mean that literally, the nocturnal holographic shows people's brains produce. I decided that early on, mainly because it seems too self-indulgent, and besides, nobody really cares what other people dream, unless it's wild and crazy, or if it shows a drastic personality disorder that other people recognize in a person, and they like to silently feel superior to the dream-teller. That, and my dreams tend to be so bizarre that most people probably wouldn't believe that I dreamed some of those scenarios, but rather made them up out of whole cloth...which, if you read some of the dreams I've written down, I'd be most happy with being thought creative enough to invent them myself, without the aid of my REM sleep.


I'm breaking that trend here, and will relay a weird occurrence I had during sleep the other day, since it was the first time anything like it has happened to me, and it relates to current (sporting) events.


Saturday night, I was very tired and ready for bed, watching the Yankees-Angels game, game 2 of the ALCS, on my computer screen, watching the little blips pop up on the screen as colored circles indicating balls and strikes, green-circles for a ball, red-circles for a strike, and blue-circles for a ball in play. This is how one "watches" the game for free on a computer...a rectangle on the screen to signify the strike-zone, a batter silhouette to represent the batter, and colored circles to show the approximate location of the pitches. Not the most exciting thing.


In any case, it was the top of the eleventh inning, the score was tied 2-2, an Angel was on second base, and I watched the little colored circles showing up for Chone (pronounced "Shawn") Figgins...red (foul), green (ball), green (ball) and a few more innocuous combinations, then a blue-circle, next to it saying "ball in play, runs", whereas what I wanted to see was the word "outs" instead of "runs", since it signified that Figgins had driven in the runner at second, putting the Angels ahead in the 11th inning.


I cursed the screen, turned off my Internet, shut-down the computer, and went to bed. My dream was, again, long and bizarre, the complete details of which I don't exactly remember, but there was a game occurring in it that I was passionate about, a football game I believe, that ended. I saw a line-score with two teams I couldn't read (you can't read in dreams I've read while doing some personal research), but the home team, the team shown on the bottom of line-scores, had won the game by the score of 4-3. I do remember the numbers pretty vividly. I thought, strange for a football score, like two safeties beating a field-goal, then I thought that maybe it wasn't football, and maybe something else was going on.


After I woke up, I remembered my dream, and smiled about the football thoughts, and thought how cool it would be if the Yankees had comeback and actually won that game, pretty sure in the fact that they'd be going out west with the series tied at one game a piece. I went to get some flour at the bodega to make waffles and saw the newspaper...the Yankees had comeback, and had won the game, by the score of 4-3.


My dreams are generally vivid, colorful, completely of the wall, but I'd never say that I ever really dreamed of prognostications, and this was more likely a representation of what I wanted to happen...but when I told Corrie all about it, she said, half-joking, "Wow, you must have some psychic connection to your team, or something," to which my general sentiment is "phooey"...I don't outrightly deny that that kind of phenomena is impossible, but I'm not about to start claiming I dreamed the future.


But it was a pretty cool moment when I saw the newspaper yesterday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment